lundi 30 août 2021

Maybe if you take binary logic and melt it, you get consciousness.

Oh, you may object to "melt." What am I talking about, right?

In my learning and behavior textbook from college, there's a definition of language. One requirement is that the elements of a language have discrete meanings. That is, "I ran away" can mean many things in many situations, but it definitely does not mean "I started my egg sandwich." We can draw a clear separation. "Red" covers a range of colors, but they share a particular quality that is not "blue." We can separate the colors easily enough in practice because the words are discrete.

In class fifteen years ago, I thought of what happens when the discreteness of language breaks down. What does that look like? What would a language be without discreteness?

Here's one great example: tarot cards.

But what if you felt really daring, and wanted to go a little further? What happens, computationally, when you get a breakdown in the discreteness of binary logic? It's still computational. It's still a physical process.