lundi 20 décembre 2021

Today I want to talk about the difference between intuition and magical thinking. They can look identical. Here's my summary: intuition is a crucial tool, but when you believe that the world operates according to that tool, that's magical thinking. Subtle but major difference!

The world unfolds via physics. Intuition is a way we cut corners that we wouldn't get around otherwise. The universe is not cutting those corners. To believe the universe cuts the corners your mind cuts is magical thinking.

Example: I have a good feeling about this new job, so I'll take it. Later, I still feel that was a great decision. That's intuition. If I say the universe was telling me that this was a great decision, and I had to listen, and this was objectively the first step on a new journey, that's magical thinking.

Think about the way themes work in literature and movies. That's magical thinking.

It's great in art. I love it. Absolutely love it. But when you start to believe that the world works the way themes work in a novel, you might be in trouble. It doesn't.