samedi 19 mars 2022

I learned a lot about computers through setting up and modifying games and operating systems on pcs when I was a kid.

But I also learned that I'd often spend so much energy on the configuration that I'd lose interest or at least enthusiasm for the game itself.

In high school one summer I spent basically the entire summer researching and hunting down and downloading and configuring classic titles almost no one my age had heard of or played. This wasn't a new activity. It's just one summer it was my entire summer.

The point is I actually don't want to spend all my time setting up and not getting to the actual expressive, emotional, experiential stuff. For me the latter was really the point, and I sort of resented how much of the former I was caught up in.

Which no doubt is why much of the world still plays games on consoles - already pretty well pre-configured - and mobile devices - even more so.

The irony is that as a game developer, you spend even more time and energy on the configuration.

But this time you can honestly tell yourself that the expressive, emotional, experiential stuff IS the point. When you're done, if you're ever done, someone else can feel the message with a minimum of headache.