jeudi 10 mars 2022

I think the mythic constructs we especially relate to tell us something about ourselves.

I especially relate to Spock.

On the one side, the Vulcan side, there's this almost autistic/psychopathic reserve and rationality. It's Sherlock Holmes. It's what people find inhuman in mathematics or computers. At the extreme, it's HAL: difficult to see as really evil, because that was never its intent, yet possibly horribly destructive if unchecked. Mostly, though, it's engaged, useful, scientific.

On the other side, Spock's human side, I'm the Phoenix. I'm so overly emotional I burn to the ground and can't move and believe life is over. Or I'm so reflexively a free spirit that even when I'm the one who puts the chains of expectation on me, like Houdini, I slip out. The more chains and ropes and cuffs I apply, the more easily Houdini slips away, unseen.

In the middle, between them, Spock's spectre, is the Nosferatu of F.M. Murnau's 1922 masterpiece. This is animal desire mixed with human affection mixed with the restraints of conscience and fear. This is how I feel when I really like someone new. I'm aware that I could seem creepy. It's the Shadow archetype.