vendredi 10 juin 2022

If there is a God, I think of God as a game designer. There wouldn't be much in terms of "what God wants" and "what God doesn't want." It's *all* part of the design, even though the design includes many choices for you to customize your path and experience.

This may sound silly or non-scientific, and maybe it's both, but I think it's a legitimate question science could try to answer. If we seriously believe this could all be a simulation, then we can just as seriously ask if a sentience put that simulation together with a design in mind.

I don't have an opinion. I don't know. But if there *is* a God, that's my opinion of what it would be like.

And maybe I do have an opinion. The fact we're already, not many years after the first computers, simulating universes in code strongly suggests to me that this is part of a reproductive capacity in the universe—for universes.

So that's the crazy way I see game design: as the forebear of something that might be greater than our wildest dreams.

It might take millions of years. And it might take traveling, say, to a black hole to seed a new universe with custom rules someone has chosen.

But I can imagine the possibility. Can't you?