dimanche 9 janvier 2022

My definition of "interactive media" definitely includes instruments. I actually feel like an instrument is the canonical example of interactive media.

When you build a musical instrument for someone, you make a game that they can play - for sure it's a rule system that can be tinkered with in improv, and consequences are negotiable.

I'd say dancing is the first form of play, and musical instruments are the first games. But these are my definitions. We can define things how we want.

I'm sure the human voice evolved before board games. But it may be that instruments evolved *after* board games, in which case the latter might be the first games after all. Or maybe the voice box, as first (and certainly prototypal) instrument, still takes the crown as first game. But now we're bending things so much that it's all opinion and metaphor.